Man I love me some biscuits and gravy. Was hungry this morning and this word was given to me. May seem strange but in all honesty it is so true. Life can be as easy and enjoyable as a fresh made batch of biscuits and gravy. No matter our past, no matter our current troubles, no matter what lies in front of us, life is very doable. Recipe is simple. Recipe for recovery. Recipe for life in general. God gives us that so all of us can whip it together without being that master chef or having the ability to cook like Grandma. I am thankful for that grace from above because I do love me some biscuits and gravy.
RECIPE FOR RECOVERY
In life we are given a simple recipe to follow. By doing so, we can live a prosperous and purpose filled life. We are in charge of making the biscuits. That’s the simple part. Through following that simple recipe by grace God supplies all the glorious gravy. I don’t know if you are like me but with my biscuits I want all the gravy I can get. I believe the way out of the darkness and into the light really is as simple as biscuits and gravy. All we must do is provide the action and faith to follow the recipe and make those biscuits.
Here are a few simple steps to for our part of this recipe. It requires little from us compared to what we receive in return.
- We must be willing to completely trust the recipe. Once we put our entire trust and faith in the One with the recipe then we are ready to mix the ingredients.
- First we add self worth. We must accept ourselves as imperfectly perfect. Love who you are. God created you in His image. Hard to argue with that!
- Next, we do all we can to have the faith of God. We take a step of faith and then stand in that faith. Letting go of all our baggage, fears, worries, and letting God take them. If we trust Him to, He does. That’s His promise to us.
- Then we use our program. Whatever program works for you. But you must have one. For me, it is daily prayer and meditation in God’s word, my church, my AA group, and service. Through this we grow and rise just like biscuits in the oven. The key is to make whatever program you have a daily thing. We neglect our program and our ability to cook anything goes out the window.
- If we come to a point when we feel like we are lost and sinking then all we do is quickly go back and begin at STEP 1.
I would say it is as easy as pie but then I love sweets and I would want pie. So we will stick with biscuits and gravy. What can I say, I am an addict.
COMPLETELY TRUST THE RECIPE
I wanted to find peace in my life. I wanted life with all the gravy. I learned through my alcoholism that by following this simple recipe that not only would life become all I dreamed but my past and its troubles would be taken from me as well. I could not live life like I was. I had made a huge mess in my kitchen. I was completely willing to trust another recipe. I accept and love me for who I am, who I have been, and who I am becoming. I took a step and then a stand in faith that the One who gave me recipe knew what was best and had control. I figured out in time what program worked best for me and I work it daily. The times where I was lost and sinking I quickly returned to Step 1 instead of the bottle. Simple it is, yet hard to begin. Once we do, those biscuits are golden and warm and God begins to pour His blessings like gravy in abundance. See, told you I love me some biscuits and gravy.